Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France

The Official and Original Forum for the Real Liverpool Supporters in France'

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

l'arrivée de terry mc dermott à LFC

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Invité

l'arrivée de terry mc dermott à LFC Empty
PostSubject: l'arrivée de terry mc dermott à LFC   l'arrivée de terry mc dermott à LFC EmptySat 30 Dec 2006 - 17:51

source: www.lfchistory.net
l'arrivée de terry mc dermott à LFC Mcdermottarrival

Ray Kennedy shows new boy McDermott around at Anfield

Phil Thompson explains in his autobiography how Terry Mac's arrival at Liverpool came about.

I was in my hospital bed when Bob Paisley phoned me. He said: “The boy McDermott. I’m reading in the press that he is not happy at Newcastle. Do you know him?” I said: “Not really. He’s a Kirkby lad, but he’s a bit older than me. I only got to meet him in the Cup final where we swapped shirts.”

Bob said: “I fancy him as a Liverpool player. Can you get in touch with him?” I said: “There is no phone for Macca, but I can write.”

I sent Terry a letter from my hospital bed and said I understood he was not happy and that Bob Paisley had been talking about him. I explained that Bob felt he had all the attributes to be a Liverpool player, adding: “If you know what I mean.”

I tried to word it as carefully as I could and soon got a letter back saying: “If you are trying to say would I be interested in Liverpool, it would be my dream.”

I spoke to Bob who said: “Write and tell him not to do anything daft.” (which was hard for Terry Mac!). Another letter went off and while Terry might have to decipher it, the message was clear.

l'arrivée de terry mc dermott à LFC Terrytommo

McDemott and Phil swap shirts at the 1974 FA Cup final

A little bit of time passed and I got another letter from Terry, which said: “What’s happening?” It was like James Bond with all of these cryptic messages changing hands. I told Bob and soon after it was in the papers that Liverpool were interested in Terry McDermott. After a little while longer and a few more “love letters” to each other, he was to come to Anfield where we became firm friends and roomates for many years.
Back to top Go down

l'arrivée de terry mc dermott à LFC
Page 1 of 1