Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France

The Official and Original Forum for the Real Liverpool Supporters in France'

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raffa and Shanks the comparison

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shankly Gates
Rang: Administrateur
Shankly Gates

Raffa and Shanks the comparison Empty
PostSubject: Raffa and Shanks the comparison   Raffa and Shanks the comparison EmptyTue 18 Jan 2005 - 16:00

What Shankly said: "Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It's terribly simple."

What Benitez says: "This is the pass-and-move thing. If we could take this concept on to the pitch every time we played then football would be simple and beautiful. Every single manager tries to achieve it, but we can hardly ever do it."

What Shankly said: "The trouble with referees is that they know the rules but they do not know the game."

What Benitez says: "This is an old, old debate. By the time referees are finally experienced enough to understand the teams and what the players are trying to get away with, it's time for them to retire. It's a disgrace, but that's the way things work at the moment."

What Shankly said: "Somebody said to me, 'Football's a matter of life and death to you.' I said, 'Listen, it's much more important than that."

What Benitez says: "I wouldn't be as extreme in my expression, but it does explain perfectly the passion he had for this sport. We have to place a huge value on our jobs because we have so many people whose hopes and happiness hang on what we do. It is very important to do everything as well as we possibly can, just for them."

What Shankly said: "A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure you are. In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."

What Benitez says: "I agree that the mind is crucial not only for football, but also for your normal everyday life. If you want to reach your goals you need a great and strong mind."

What Shankly said: "If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

What Benitez says: "People never remember the seconds. The third places always enjoy it more than the second. The third wins a bronze, but the second loses the gold medal."

What Shankly said: "At a football club there is a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it - they are only there to sign the cheque."

What Benitez says: "When he says 'come into it' then if it means obstruct, it is not beneficial. If it means bringing useful knowledge, then it is."

Back to top Go down

Raffa and Shanks the comparison
Page 1 of 1