Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France

The Official and Original Forum for the Real Liverpool Supporters in France'

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

emlyn hugues/steven gerrard

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Invité

emlyn hugues/steven gerrard Empty
PostSubject: emlyn hugues/steven gerrard   emlyn hugues/steven gerrard EmptyMon 22 May 2006 - 15:18

voici un post de fyds sur emlyn hugues,comparé par certains forumeurs à stevieG.
je posterai plus tard une traduction sur ce remarquable post,mais celle que je viens de faire a foiré pcq mon ordi a planté donc je la raferrai plus tard.
en gros,emlyn hugues etait autant une inspiration pour l'équipe que stevieG.
malheureusement,la télé allait peu à anfield dans les années 70 donc ya peu de témoignages visuels du crazy horse que fyds adorait regarder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thought long and hard about this one - yes, very often he was as inspirational as Gerrard, but not in the same 'do everything' way, but in the 'up-and-at-'em/no-surrender' way - in that, he was always what Gerrard has become in the last year. Hughes would fight every ball...he hated losing big time...his head would not drop for more than a couple of seconds.

Like Gerrard, he could hit a ball harder, more accurately and from greater distance than anyone else around at the time. Peter Lorimer of Leeds could belt a ball, but often it went the way of a Jaap Stam penalty - Revie once offered Lorimer and as much as £200k (a fortune back then) in exchange for Hughes, Shanks of course, told him where to stick it. It's a shame more of Emlyn's goals have not survived on tape or DVD. I remember England against West Germany I think - when the Germans were World Champions circa '74, England were struggling to get out of their own half and mount a serious attack. Emlyn could be seen yelling at Tony Currie and others to pull their finger out, when, eventually frustrated, he got the ball in his own half and went for it - past a couple of German midfielders (he was a powerful, though not speedy runner), passed the single centreback and from 35 yards out hammered it - it struck the bar and shot about 30 yards up in the air as it went over. Sepp Meier, the German keeper had no idea what had just happened. 'Oh Emlyn Hughes! ' cried Barry Davies on the BBC 'Why don't you do that more often!' - you should come to anfield a bit more often Barry, I thought. Emlyn loved the club as much as Stevie Gerrard does, but was a bit more ambivalent about England where he thought others in the team didn't care as much as he did. He once called Maradonna a 'tosser' for not joining Liverpool when he was younger (others will know more about this than I do) and called Kevin Keegan the same for leaving when he did. When time was eventually called on him by Bob Paisley at Liverpool, he was beside himself, but not bitter - he went and capatained Wolves to their first trophy in a generation. I don't think they've won one since.

I have no idea what the 'real' Stephen Gerrard is like in the dressing rooms - word seems to be Carra, Moro and Xabi do most of the gee-ing up. But Stevie seems a well-liked captain. Emlyn was also a well liked captain - for a while. He made some bad judgement calls shall we say, which alienated him from some, Tommy Smith in particular hated him and still does in memoriam. All that would take far too long to go into and I for one don't want to rake a dead LFC hero's ashes over.

I was fortunate enough to see his first game and his last, and almost all those in between - including his testemonial which on a cold (and if I remember right - damp) night, still drew an appropriately large crowd.

A mixed bag of a human being (aren't we all?), he will always be a true anfield legend for me and my generation.
Back to top Go down

emlyn hugues/steven gerrard
Page 1 of 1