Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France

The Official and Original Forum for the Real Liverpool Supporters in France'

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MOMO: THE BIG INTERVIEW

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Invitι

MOMO: THE BIG INTERVIEW Empty
PostSubject: MOMO: THE BIG INTERVIEW   MOMO: THE BIG INTERVIEW EmptyFri 3 Nov 2006 - 21:45

Be honest: had you heard the name Momo Sissoko before his arrival from Valencia in the summer of 2005? Probably not.

However, the Malian international soon established himself as a firm Kop favourite, his no-nonsense approach ensuring he inherited Didi Hamann's mantel of midfield enforcer with aplomb.

So, how's he finding life in England? In our latest Big Interview, Momo talks about yellow cards, his admiration for Robbie Savage, and The Banana Splits. Oh, and he reveals who took the chequered flag when the Liverpool players went go-karting.

You've been here well over a year now. What are the best and the worst things about this living in England?
I'd say the best thing is that when you arrive at every stadium and go on to the pitch the fans are fantastic. For me, the worst thing is the weather. The best thing about Liverpool is when the fans sing my name. I'm very happy in Liverpool, the club and my teammates.

You mentioned the fans singing your name. The tune to the Mo Mo Mo song comes from a kids TV show called The Banana Splits – have you seen it?
No, never. Maybe I will!

Which players helped you settle into life at Liverpool?
Every player. I'm young and all the time I learn things, especially with Stevie and Xabi Alonso. For me this is something special. I have good feelings with everybody – with Carragher as well, with Garcia, with Pepe Reina.

Who is the loudest member of the Liverpool dressing room?
Carragher talks a lot. I can understand him now but it's difficult.

How do you spend your time when you are not training?
I sleep a lot! I go to the town centre quite a lot too. I like clothes so I go shopping.

The squad went go-karting earlier this week – who won?
Bolo won and I came last! It was the first time I'd been karting so for me it's normal to finish last. Bolo was good and Sami was very good as well.

Rafa signed you for Liverpool after bringing you through the ranks at Valencia. Has he become a father figure to you?
Rafa is the one for me because he gave me my break in the first team when I was 17-years-old. He was the first to give me a chance and for me he is something special. I respect him a lot.

Are there any aspects of your game you would like to improve?
I want to improve all the time, during every training session. I need to learn a lot of things but I am a young player and I am learning all the time. I would like to improve my shooting.

You're yet to score for Liverpool – how bothered are you about that?
I want to score but my objective is to play well every game and win every game. I'm not especially bothered about goals. I just want to show everybody that I play well.

What do you make of the comparisons to Patrick Vieira?
For me this is good. It is a big comparison. When people say I am like him it makes me happy. My heroes when I was young were Zidane and Patrick Vieira especially.

Who has been your toughest opponent in the Premiership?
I like to play against Robbie Savage because he is there all the time. He is a good guy – I like him.

Do you have any superstitions when you go out on to the pitch?
Yes. I always go out left foot first. I don't know why but I've done it since I was a boy.

A lot has been made about the number of yellow cards you receive, and Rafa has come out to say he feels you are treated unfairly. Is that how you feel?
The story is finished for me. I bring a lot of yellow cards but when you play as a central midfielder you need to defend every ball. I'm not going to change my style of playing. I just want to play football, enjoy my football and win a lot of titles.

Many Liverpool fans probably aren't aware that you have 14 brothers and sisters. Can we expect to see another Sissoko in a Red shirt one day?
Maybe! I have a younger brother playing in the first division for West Brom and I have told him to work hard. There are others – my brother Abdul plays in France for Auxerre.

You chose to play for Mali ahead of France - why?
I decided to play for Mali because that's what my heart told me. Now a lot of people know Mali because I play for Liverpool and other players too – Diarra plays for Madrid.

What's been the highlight of your career so far?
The best thing was in Spain winning La Liga, the UEFA Cup and the Super Cup when I was 18-years-old.

Finally, you feared you may never play again after that horrific eye injury in Benfica. What would you do if you could no longer play football?
That's a good question. I really do not know what I would have done. I'm better now and this makes me very happy because this injury for me and my family was very bad. I'm just thankful that I'm playing again and playing for Liverpool. My eye sight is back to 100 per cent now.
Back to top Go down

MOMO: THE BIG INTERVIEW
Page 1 of 1