Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France

The Official and Original Forum for the Real Liverpool Supporters in France'

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Invité

Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen Empty
PostSubject: Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen   Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen EmptyMon 24 Jan 2005 - 10:26

'The worst I've seen'
By Alan Hansen (Filed: 24/01/2005)

Liverpool's performance in the first half against Southampton was the worst I've seen in the 14 years since I left the club and as a committed supporter you wonder where it is going to end.

They have got progressively worse. They didn't play that well against Norwich when they won there in the league. They were outplayed at times by Watford when they beat them in the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final and their performance against Manchester United a week ago was their worst home display of the season.

The biggest thing is that if you are struggling for form you go strong with your team selection. Every manager I have played under would without hesitation have gone strong in the situation Liverpool were in before last Tuesday's FA Cup third-round tie at Burnley - but Rafael Benitez did the exact opposite in going in with a weakened team.

Win the next match is the key when a team are out of form. A victory at Burnley would have given Liverpool greater rhythm and morale to take them take into the next set of fixtures.

Winning restores confidence and once you get the confidence back then you may have been able to rest certain players. I think that if Liverpool had beaten Burnley their performance against Southampton would have been 100 times better.

You can't go on to the pitch playing badly and then come into an important league match and think that does not matter. The consensus of opinion before the Burnley game was that Liverpool were in big trouble because of the team Benitez had picked.

And one thing leads to another. The backlash was there for three or four days and it affects everybody. No matter who you are you will feel pressure. Liverpool therefore went into the Southampton match under a lot of pressure and it showed.

Where does that leave them? They are out of the FA Cup and they are not going to win the Champions League. The Carling Cup is a bonus but the priority is getting back into the Champions League by finishing at least fourth in the Premiership.

They've got to go nine or 10 games undefeated to get back into contention for that fourth place and they don't look like a team who can do that.

The worst-case scenario is that they don't finish fourth and the captain goes in the summer. If you look at Steven Gerrard he is the heart and soul of the place. You take him out of the team and see what happens.

In fact Liverpool's best three players over the last five years have all been English - Gerrard, Michael Owen, whom they allowed to go to Real Madrid, and Jamie Carragher.

Carragher has been their best defender by a mile for the last few seasons but now even he is starting to make mistakes. That is because the rest of the defence are in disarray.

Carragher has been unbelievably consistent in the centre of defence. They move him to right back to accommodate Mauricio Pellegrino - a player who is alarmingly short of pace alongside Sami Hyypia, who is also not quick - and all of a sudden Carragher looked out of sorts.

If you play in a defence that's all over the place, it affects you as well - it does not matter how well you are playing individually. Everybody is entitled to a bad game. It is significant that it comes for Carragher when Liverpool are under enormous pressure trying to bring in one or two new players.

In defence of Benitez, he has given the Liverpool supporters belief again. The belief that they are going to Anfield to see entertainment, goals and attacking football. I think that is why a lot of supporters will give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, he is suffering from the Gérard Houllier regime when a lot of mediocre players arrived at the club. Unfortunately, Houllier as a Frenchman went totally French in the transfer market, shopping in an area he knows best. It didn't work out for him and Benitez is in danger of making the same mistake by going totally Spanish. Between the two of them they have created a conveyor belt of mediocrity.

Xavi Alonso is a good player and Fernando Morientes is obviously a good player, but the jury is out on the rest of them. Apart from anything else, Liverpool could not afford any more average players to come in because of their wage bill.

The top three Premiership clubs have tremendous strength in depth. That's the difference between them and the rest. Liverpool, like some other teams around them, have six or seven players who can compete with anybody but it is not about your first XI any more it is about 19 or 20 players.

What Liverpool have failed to do is replace quality with quality and it is now a major problem for them.

The most important aspect for Liverpool is that the players Benitez brought in had to be good enough to be in their strongest starting XI. That has not happened. He went for foreigners when in all honesty he should have gone British, inasmuch as you know what you are going to get by shopping in the home market.
Back to top Go down
Shankly Gates
Rang: Administrateur
Shankly Gates

PostSubject: Hansen   Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen EmptyMon 24 Jan 2005 - 13:02

Well Alan

You were undoubtedly a great player for us but as far as being a journalist is concerned this is just about the worst article I have ever seen. it is easy to sit there and criticise after the event with the benefit of hindsight.

As an ex-Red he should be encouraging everyone to get behind Raffa and the team. It is moments like this when as a supporter you have to stand up and get behind your team. I am as dissapointed as anyone else is with recent performances and results. I do however accept that Raffa has had to deal with not only bad refereeing decisions going against us, an injury list that just keeps on climbing. Bear in mind Stevie G has played the last two games after having recieved painkilling injections for his groin injury. New players trying to gell and not being given a chance due to constant changes being forced due to injury. Then we have had a series of howlers from players for which we have paid a very expensive price.

We are still in 5th place with Everton making no advance,we are 90 minutes from a league cup final and we have qualified for the second phase of the Champions league. All of this has been acheived despite the reasons I have already listed above. We should be praising our manager and our players not criticising them.

Alan Hansen as an ex player has chosen to ignore these facts in this article.
So for me it is the worst article he has written. rouge
Back to top Go down
clivethe

PostSubject: Re: Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen   Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen EmptyMon 24 Jan 2005 - 14:09

c l'article le plus bidon qu'il a ecrit sans doute!!mais il doit etre en colere car depuis quelque temps on est vraiment pas terrible il faut se revolter et si il pouvait prendre la place de pellegrino le hansen pas de blemes la!! lol
Back to top Go down
Shankly Gates
Rang: Administrateur
Shankly Gates

PostSubject: Hansen   Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen EmptyMon 24 Jan 2005 - 14:38

I accept that he is annoyed Clive, I am annoyed as well. I don't think you can call yourself a Liverpool supporter if it doesn't hurt to see the team playing this way.

Hansen as a reporter though does not seem to be taking into account the reasons for the present situation. Therefore IMO he is not doing his job. This is the sort of article I would expect to read in the Manchester local press. We have enough problems at the moment without him adding to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen   Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen Empty

Back to top Go down

Alan Hansen (Telegraph du 24/01) : "The worst I've seen
Page 1 of 1