Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France

The Official and Original Forum for the Real Liverpool Supporters in France'

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Pool 4 Steaua Bucharest 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shankly Gates
Rang: Administrateur

PostSubject: Pool 4 Steaua Bucharest 1   Fri 17 Sep 2010 - 13:35

Well you have to give praise when it is due this was an excellent result by basically our second team. And Steau were no mugs they could play and at times I fancied them to win the match.

Dream start for us with Coles opener and it was a class finish but truly for the rest of the first half we were restricted to long range pot shots that never really troubled their keeper?
I thought Steau were very impressive in their closing down when we had the ball and harrying us until they recovered the ball. They showed they could move the ball around with pace and go from defense to attack rapidly and effectively. I thought they were the better side first half and we looked decidedly dodgy at times with the pressure they put us under. I did feel though that it wasn't going to be possible for them to keep up the work rate they were putting in for the whole 90 and we would get our chances when they inevitably tired.

I don't know what Roy said at half time but it worked. We came out and stepped up about 2 gears we started moving the ball around with far more pace and Steaua couldn't live with the increased pace and they just ran out of steam. But is anyone else noticing a pattern developing this season? We are poor first 45 and then much better the second 45. We need to be able to start matches and sustain the pressure and pace for the whole ninety especiially against the better sides. I thought the Ref was very kind to us with the penalty decision but a goal was only a matter of time given the pressure we were applying.

Babel didn't really take his chance as he should have done, this was his chance to show the manager he really is the better option on the left wing. I still think he did enough to warrant a place ahead of Jovanovic but I don't know if Roy sees it that way. Maxi was outstanding but can he do against the top sides where he will not get the same time and room?

I thought Miereles put in a very tidy debut at Anfield and particularily impressed with his ability to always find space to receive the ball, the immediate similarity with Xabi Alonso can not have gone unnoticed although this was the Europa league not the Prem.

Spearing was impressive too and showed enough to give Roy food for thought but still a little short of pushing any of the exisiting midfield out the team.

And if only Lucas would do this more often making a late run into the bow and shooting with accuracy and power.

Overall I would think Roy was extremely happy with the players he picked and their performance as well as his substitutions. Well done to these players who I am sure appreciate the chance to play in a big match.

With a draw being the result for the other 2 in our group things are looking good in the EL without us risking our strongest players.
LFC scarf LFC scarf LFC scarf

Nando
Rush bar resident

PostSubject: Re: Pool 4 Steaua Bucharest 1   Fri 17 Sep 2010 - 14:29

Well done Roy and the Reds, rests his top players, so fresh for the Mancs and wins 4-1 can't ask for any more. Joey Cole was magic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Redtildead
Rush bar resident

PostSubject: Re: Pool 4 Steaua Bucharest 1   Fri 17 Sep 2010 - 14:32

Yep me too top performance shame it was a bit quiet at Anfield and not a full house.
Could be a full house for the next EL match after this performance though.

Bring on the Mancs youpi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pool 4 Steaua Bucharest 1   

Back to top Go down

Pool 4 Steaua Bucharest 1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1