Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum for Real Liverpool Supporters in France

The Official and Original Forum for the Real Liverpool Supporters in France'

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pool v Arsenal

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shankly Gates
Rang: Administrateur
Shankly Gates

Pool v Arsenal Empty
PostSubject: Pool v Arsenal   Pool v Arsenal EmptyFri 13 Aug 2010 - 13:07

ROY HODGSON was today preparing to launch Pepe Reina straight back into action this weekend – as he grappled with the dilemma surrounding Javier Mascherano.

Liverpool kick-off a new era on Sunday when they play host to Arsenal and Hodgson intends to name his strongest available side for the Anfield showdown.

That means Reina will start between the posts for the Reds, even though he has not played a single minute during pre-season.

Reina only returned to training on August 2 after helping Spain to World Cup glory and pulled out of his country’s midweek friendly in Mexico with a shoulder injury.

But it is not a problem that will preclude his involvement and Hodgson will have no hesitation about putting his faith in Liverpool’s reigning Player of the Year.

Diego Cavalieri is set to be Reina’s deputy for the afternoon, as Liverpool have yet to conclude negotiations with Middlesbrough for the signing of Brad Jones.

The Reds had a £2m bid rebuffed by Middlesbrough last week but have since been back with an improved offer.

Discussions between the clubs are continuing to move along the right lines and a deal is expected to be completed for the 28-year-old within the next 48 hours.

Another piece of paperwork Liverpool are waiting to receive is international clearance for new signing Christian Poulsen

Should Liverpool receive that today, Hodgson will be in a position to consider whether the Denmark international can go straight into the squad to face Arsenal.

Hodgson, however, must also consider what to do with want-away midfielder Mascherano, who has spoken of his determination to quit Anfield this week.

He trained with the rest of Liverpool’s squad yesterday afternoon after returning from international duty with Argentina and is fit to play against Arsenal.

Yet Hodgson must decide whether Mascherano is in the right frame of mind to deal with such an assignment or instead go with someone who is fully focused.

Meanwhile, Poulsen – who has been assigned squad number 28 – has revealed he did not hesitate when the chance arose to join up again with his old boss.

Poulsen and Hodgson enjoyed a successful year with FC Copenhagen in 2000-01 and the 30-year-old is hoping history repeats itself on Merseyside.

“I had two good years with him so I hope to carry that on, and hopefully he’ll be satisfied with my qualities,” said Poulsen.

“Roy didn’t have to say that much because Liverpool is known all around the world, and for people in Denmark, Liverpool are the biggest club in England.

“I started a little bit later because of the World Cup but I have done (a full) pre-season with Juventus.

“I didn’t play the last matches in the Europa League because of the move to this club.

“I am feeling fit but of course it’s a decision for the manager and the staff.”
Back to top Go down
Shankly Gates
Rang: Administrateur
Shankly Gates

Pool v Arsenal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pool v Arsenal   Pool v Arsenal EmptyFri 13 Aug 2010 - 18:49

LIVERPOOL v Arsenal: Roy Hodgson set to include Fernando Torres in squad
By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 3:13 PM on 13th August 2010

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is in contention for a place in the squad to face Arsenal on Sunday.
The Spain international sustained an adductor injury in their World Cup final victory but has made good progress in his rehabilitation and could feature at Anfield.

Torres could feature against the Gunners

Wantaway midfielder Javier Mascherano could also play as the club have not received any bids for the Argentina captain, who has impressed Hodgson with his attitude in training.
The match may be too early for Christian Poulsen, who only signed this Thursday.
Team (from): Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Aurelio, Lucas, Mascherano, Gerrard, Kuyt, Cole, Jovanovic, Torres, Babel, Cavalieri, Kyrgiakos, Rodriguez, Kelly, Pacheco, Aquilani, Poulsen.

Back to top Go down

Pool v Arsenal
Page 1 of 1